Specially modified minibuses are needed for the transportation of disabled persons. These minibuses are equipped with lifting devices for wheelchairs. Each vehicle is supplied with state of the art medical appliances and utilizes the latest technology to ensure absolute security of the wheelchairs while traveling.
The vehicles are needed:
- To provide the disabled living in ILAN Homes transportation to medical treatments, sport and social activities and occupational centers outside the homes.
- To transport the most severely disabled to and from their homes to therapeutic and occupational centers that would otherwise be inaccessible to them.
- To enable the physically disadvantaged to take part in social and communal activities that are some distance from their homes.
- To provide a daily transport service to schools and kindergartens for disabled children who are unable to use existing transport systems.
Safe transportation is often the disabled person's lifeline to the vital services that are needed to ensure his physical well-beingand to give him or her the only available opportunity to join in cultural,social and sports activities that take place in the centers that are somedistance from their homes. The abilityto enjoy these activities adds an extra dimension to the quality of life as itwould for any other member of society. These minibuses serve the most severely disabled section of thepopulation for whom no other adequate transport facilities are provided.
The project aims:
To provide 2 customized minibuses per year to answer thetransportation needs of severely disabled people who have to travel to and fromtheir homes or ILAN residential homes to educational institutions, occupationaland treatment centers and to social and sporting activities. These vehicleswill serve the urban centers but will also provide a vital link for the mostseverely disabled people who live in rural border settlements and who otherwisewould have no means of accessing the services and activities they need.
Theestimated cost of each customized Minibus US $ 90,000 (including special lift for wheelchairs and all adjustedequipment.)
- Each minibus is a one-time purchase that serves the disabled population for at least 7 years.
- The purchase of each minibus means that ILAN enters into a commitment to maintain minibus in good and safe condition throughout the useful life of the vehicle.
- ILAN undertakes to guarantee the running costs of the vehicle and in this way to ensure maximum service over the optimum number of years.
- The running costs of the vehicle include drivers' salaries, a not inconsiderable item of expenditure.